Fard and Sunnah of Hajj
Following are the obligatory (Fard) acts in Hajj:
1. Ihram: To wear the distinctive garb as prescribed. It is the condition of Hajj.
2. Wuqoof-e-Arfah: To remain present in Arafat at least for some time between Zawaal of 9th of Dhul-Hijjah and dawn of 10th of Dhul-Hijjah. It is a Rukn of Hajj.
3. The major part of Tawaf-e-Ziyarat: That is four or more rounds of Tawaf-e-Ziyarat. It is also one Rukn of Hajj.
4. Niyat: To have a firm intention in the mind.
5. Sequence: To follow the prescribed sequence, that is first is to enter in the Ihram, then to do Wuqoof followed by Tawaf-e-Ziyarat.
6. Time: Each act must be performed at its given time.
7. Place: Each act must be performed at its given place.
SUNNAH OF HAJJ
Following acts is the Sunan of Hajj:
1. Every person entering into Makkah from outside the Meeqaat should offer Tawaf-e-Qudoom, this is a Sunnah for a Mufrid and a Qaarin to offer this Tawaf. Those who are performing Hajj-e-Tamattu` are exempted.
2. To begin Tawaf from Hajr-e-Aswad, and to do Istilaam.
3. To do Ramal either in Tawaf-e-Qudoom or in Tawaf-e-Ziyarat.
4. To run between two green pillars while performing Sa`ee.
5. To start from Makkah after Fajr prayer on the 8th of Dhul-Hijjah for Mina, so as to complete five prayers in Mina.
6. To spend the night of the 9th of Dhul-Hijjah in Mina.
7. To start from Mina for Arafat on the 9th of Dhul-Hijjah after sunrise.
8. To take bath for Wuqoof -e-Arafat.
9. To stay in Muzdalifah for a night while returning from Arafat.
10. To start from Muzdalifah for Mina before sunrise.
11. To spend the nights of 11th and 12th of Dhul-Hijjah in Mina. If one stays back in Mina for the 13th of Dhul-Hijjah, then it is Sunnah to spend the night of the 13th of Dhul-Hijjah also in Mina.
Mufti Mehmood Akhtar Qadri (Qazi-E-Shehar Mumbai)